How to make a Total and Permanent Disablement or Income Protection Insurance claim

If something unexpected happens to you and you need to make a Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD)/Income Protection (IP) Insurance claim, a Child Care Super Insurance Customer Care helpline consultant can help you.

Here are the steps you can take to help make the process of making a claim a little easier.

Step 1

In the first instance, you should call the Child Care Super helpline team on 1800 060 215 Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm (Melbourne time), to tell them that you want to make a claim. You may be directed through to one of our Child Care Super insurance consultants.

It’s important to know what you’re covered for and an insurance consultant can let you know the level of cover that may be available to you.

They will ask you a few questions to find out more about why you want to make a claim. This will make it easier for them to help you initiate your claim. The more information you can give them, the quicker we can help provide you with a response.

Step 2

Following your conversation, the consultant will email or post you the claim forms to complete. They may also include an Employer Statement form and an Initial Medical Report form. 

Step 3

Once you’ve completed the forms, please post them to:

Claims Department, MetLife Insurance Limited, GPO Box 3319, Sydney NSW 2001

Remember to make a copy for your own records.

The assessment of the claim will start once Child Care Super has received forms from all relevant parties. This may include your medical practitioner, your current or previous employer, Centrelink, or a third party like WorkCover.

Step 4

We’ll forward your forms to our insurer, MetLife, who may take up to four weeks to complete their initial assessment of your claim, depending on the complexity of it. We’ll keep you updated along the way and a Child Care Super insurance consultant will contact you if more information is required.  The claims assessor from MetLife may also call to ask some questions.

What if the claim is delayed by a party who isn’t contactable, or refusing to participate?
The claim assessment process can’t be completed until the insurer is satisfied that all reasonable attempts to obtain the required information have been unsuccessful.

The more relevant information you are able to provide the assessor, the greater chance of your claim being assessed promptly.

We also encourage you to get in contact with your treating doctor or employer where delays are occurring at their end. 

Step 5

How will I be made aware of the decision?
A Child Care Super insurance consultant will let you know in writing whether or not your insurance claim has been approved.

Often, in the case of an IP benefit that has been approved, the insurer will also call you to inform you of their decision. At the same time, they will confirm bank account details so that the first payment can be made promptly by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). This may include a back payment, dating back to the first day after the completion of your waiting period.

Step 6

What if I disagree with the Trustee’s decision to decline my claim?
The Trustee will consider any objection received and affirm or amend its original decision. The objection and review request needs to be accompanied with enough evidence for the Trustee to reconsider their decision.

If you still object to the Trustee’s decision, you can lodge a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA).

Step 7

How will the funds be paid?
Payments relating to approved claims for IP benefits will be paid by EFT.

Payments for approved TPD claims will be paid directly into your Child Care Super account and invested in the secure investment option, until you, or a nominated third party representative, let us know in writing how you would like the benefit paid.

You don’t have to withdraw the entire balance at once. You’re able to leave some of the proceeds within the superannuation system, which can also be withdrawn at a later stage if need be.

Should you wish to know more about this option we strongly recommend that you speak to a financial adviser.

Please refer to the Child Care Super Insurance Guide for more information on TPD and IP insurance.


The Trust Deed, superannuation law and any insurance policy taken out by the Trustee sets out your rights and entitlements. Whether you have insurance cover and, if so, whether you are entitled to the payment of an insured benefit, depends on the full terms and conditions of our Insurer’s insurance policies. The full terms and conditions in the insurance policies take precedence over the Insurance Guide and the PDS. Insurance cover is provided to eligible Child Care Super members under a contract of insurance (policy) between the Trustee and MetLife Insurance Limited ABN 75 004 274 882, AFS Licence No. 238096.

This is information of a general nature only. It is not intended to constitute the provision of advice. Before acting on any information, you should consider its appropriateness having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs. Prior to making a decision in relation to any financial product, you should consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) in deciding whether to acquire or continue to hold the product. You may wish to consult a licensed financial adviser to obtain financial advice tailored to suit your personal circumstances. You can access financial advice under arrangements established by the Trustee (adviser fees may apply for personal advice).

Contact us today

1800 060 215


Send us a message 

Join Today